Information on:

Kentucky Shakespeare Festival

1340 S. 4th St.
502-574-9900

History

Kentucky Shakespeare Festival originated as a community theatre group, The Carriage House Players, founded in 1949 by C. Douglas Ramey. The Carriage House, appropriately named for the building at 310 W. Kentucky, began as a theatre workshop, teaching students acting, voice, diction and playwriting, as well as the history of theatre. The first play presented by the class was Cry Havoc. The next year, The Carriage House Players relocated to 1011 South Fifth Street, continuing their classes and play production.

In 1952, the Carriage House Players were incorporated. They soon became known for their “theatre-in-the-round” performances at various locations throughout Louisville. In 1953, The Carriage House Players produced their first Shakespearean play, The Taming of the Shrew, on Will’s birthday, April 23rd.



Kentucky Shakespeare Festival is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media

Photos